Who may adopt?
Who may adopt a child in South Africa?
According to the Children’s Act (Act 38 of 2005), a child may be adopted
- jointly by a husband and wife,
ii. partners in a permanent domestic life-partnership, or
iii. other persons sharing a common household and forming a permanent family unit;
- by a widower, widow, divorced or unmarried person;
- by a married person whose spouse is the parent of the child;
- by the biological father of a child born out of wedlock; or
- by the foster parent of the child.